179 S. Main Street, Suite 102
Boerne, Texas 78006
Areas of Practice
- Business Transactions
José has been practicing law since 2000 with a focus on corporate, healthcare and business transactions.
- In corporate transactions, his practice focuses on corporate formation, private equity financings, mergers & acquisitions, strategic corporate transactions, and general advisory regarding corporate and financing strategy.
- He has expertise, as well, with healthcare transactions and regulations, including HIPAA, Stark and Anti-Kickback Statute regulatory advice. José previously worked as general counsel for a physician-owned healthcare system and at a national healthcare company focusing on post-acute care and eldercare.
- As assistant general counsel for an international Australian-based gaming company in Las Vegas, he handled international customer contracts, as well as managed international acquisitions of software companies.
- He teaches health law for NYU’s Masters of Public Health program, and previously taught a corporate transactions course at UNLV’s law school.
- He loves to travel, having visited over 60 countries and speaks several foreign languages: Spanish, Italian, French and Russian.
- José uses his broad experience to provide efficient and effective representation for his clients.
- J.D. – University of Pennsylvania Law School 2000
- A.B., cum laude – Harvard College – 1997
- Dean’s List
- Harvard College Scholar
Honors & Awards
- D.C. Bar’s Frederick B. Abramson Award for co-authoring “Independent Directors and Tax Exempt Organizations”
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Texas, Administration of the Rules of Evidence Committee, Member (2012 – 2016).
- State Bar of Texas, Professionalism Committee, Member (1992-1995).
- State Bar of Texas, Crimes Victims Committee, Member (1993-1997).
- Texas Bar Foundation, Fellow.
- Texas Trial Lawyers Association.
- Houston Bar Association.
- The Woodlands Bar Association.
- Texas Supreme Court Historical Society.
Publications & Presentations
- “What’s Wrong with a Washout: Fiduciary Duties of a Venture Capitalist Investor in a Washout Financing,” Houston Business and Tax Law Journal
- “Anti-Dilution Provisions: Which One is Best for Founders?”, Startups San Antonio